Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hello from Ghana!  I made it safely, thank you all for you prayers! It’s a very surreal experience to be back.  It’s something that has been on my heart for so long, but leaving this time was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. It’s never been a challenge for me to go on these trips before, but having been recently engaged has changed things. It’s been an adjustment to be away from him, and I am counting down the days until he visits in October! Being away from family for this length of time is challenging too. My nephews are going to be so big by the time I return! I told them they aren’t allowed to grow until I return, but I doubt they will mind their auntie.
The last couple months before I left were spent maximizing every minute of time. Packing things for the trip, spending time with family and friends, making wedding plans, I was always busy with something! Since my arrival, I have to learn how to be still again. The pace of this place is quite different from the American pace. Things take time to get accomplished, you have to have patience. It has been both difficult and refreshing to adjust to this. I think it’s something it will take me a while to master.
Slowing down has allowed me to get acquainted with Africa again, to take in all the senses. To be honest, a big part of me never feels like it left. I feel right at home. I love the adventure that comes with being here. It continues to surprise me with it’s beauty and mystique. So many things about this place can be dangerous. It’s both intriguing and terrifying. But for some reason that appeals to me. I love being able to immerse myself in another culture and constantly learn new things.
I felt so at home returning to my Ghanaian family. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the children again, they are huge! They have grown so much since the last time I saw them. We were able to skype a few times over the years, but nothing compares to being able to talk with them in person, and to see how each of their personalities are developing. My heart is very full.
While I am here, I will be working with Troy and Jamie Tompkins, a doctor and a nurse practitioner from Arizona. Troy, Jamie, and their 12 year old twins recently moved to City of Refuge and will be staying here for seven years. They will be starting a medical clinic to serve City of Refuge Ministries(CORM) and the local community. Until the clinic is built, they are using their house as a temporary clinic. I could not be more excited to work with these two. Their passion for God and for the people of Africa has been amazing to be around.
We have spent time organizing supplies, medications, administering test, and treating patients. I have also been at the school on site. Faith Roots Academy has about 240 kids from CORM as well as the local community. Needless to say, they keep me busy with a variety of things from skinned knees to tummy aches. Right now is the rainy season, so malaria running rampid around the children. Not much time goes by before we are running another malaria test.
I also have spent time learning the process of CHE(Community Health Evangelism). This is an education model that we will be using to help empower the leaders in the local communities to instill change. Health education will be provided, tied in with spreading the gospel. I am very excited to learn more about this program and to help use it to reach local communities.
During my time here, I will be staying in an apartment with two other rooms for volunteers. It’s quite different from my other volunteer experiences where I am constantly moving. This time I will be stationary, and I have a place to settle into. This weekend, a team of volunteers arrived that are staying in the other two rooms of the apartment. So I’ve also been busy welcoming them, and hearing all about what has called them to missions. It’s amazing to see how God is working in so many lives.
So as you can see, I’ve been busy! It’s been an eventful first couple of days in Ghana, but peaceful. I feel at home, like I am exactly where I am supposed to be and like this is where God wants me. I am so anxious to see how He will use me, and figure out more ways I can help.
If you could pray for God to just open my eyes to opportunities where I can be of service. Also, that Troy and Jamie’s work permits would come through so they can apply for their medical licenses to advance their work. Also, pray that the process of applying for my residents card would be a quick so I can try and get my Ghanaian nursing license. Also, pray my family, Lance and myself to all be at peace with being apart for this length of time.
Thank you everyone for all the love and support you have shown me before my departure. It meant so much to me. I pray all is well in the states and look forward to updating you on new events in the future! Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment